Who are we?
We are a group of young dentists around Oman from different nationalities, with same goals; to improve skills and quality of care towards patients.
Oman Paediatric Dentistry & Special Care Club
Our vision: ‘Prevention Through Early Interventin & Ensuring Accessible Dental Services For All’
Our mission: “Aims for caries free dentition through preventive measures and parents’ education and when treatment is needed to be delivered in a pleasant and effective way”.
- Encourage brainstorming and creativity of each member.
- Respect for each other.
- Being proactive.
- Share information and experiences that will lead us to our main goals of establishing our forum.
3 main goals:
- CPD of members.
- Improve general dentist skills on management of children.
- Public education about caring for their children’s teeth.
Target (2020 vision)
‘Improving oral health of pre-schoolers’.
i.e. those infants born in 2014 hopefully when they get to school by 2020 to be caries-free or minimal treatment is required (% ?).
(according to a survey done at Armed Forces Hospital in 2012 the prevalence of early childhood caries in children aged 2 to 5 years old was 59.48 %.
62.8 % of 2 years old were caries free and this figure decreased steadily as age increased with only 15.7 % of 5 years old were caries free).
How to achieve our goal:
- A dental card to be given with the pink card, which includes:
Compulsory dental check-up when the child reaches 6 months and 6 monthly thereafter until the age of 5 years. Whenever possible hospital pharmacy should provide appropriate toothpaste to children at each checkup +/- toothbrush as prevention is cheaper than treating the disease (i.e. expenses of restorative materials, frequent prescriptions of analgesics +/- antibiotics and sedation/ GA services besides frequent absence from school and parents from work…etc).
The card should have guidance on what the dentist/therapist can do at each visit e.g. what toothpaste to recommend and the type of dietary advice to be given…etc + fluoride varnish applications. (See next page)
- Other ways of conveying our message:
- Actively participate in public events, such as Gulf week in March each year (which are usually backed financially).
- Social media (website, Facebook, SMS, Tweeter …etc.
- Distribution of leaflets to:
- Prenatal clinics.
- Vaccination clinics.
- Paediatricians, occupational therapists, dietitians, cardiologist…etc.